Chicago standout Carter picks Seton Hall

Big man Myles Carter is now the third player to join Seton Hall’s 2015 recruiting class.

Highschoolcubenews.com

The power forward out of Chicago Ill., announced his verbal commitment to the program on his Twitter profile Monday night.

“It’s official, I’ve committed to Seton Hall University,” Carter tweeted.

When asked why the South Orange, N.J., college was right for him, Cater praised various aspects of the program.

“I just felt like they had a really great coaching staff,” he said Tuesday in a phone interview with The Setonian. “I liked the atmosphere of the school; academic-wise they really help their players on and off the court… I got a chance to see them play and they really played hard. That’s why I like Coach (Kevin) Willard. He’s always pushing his players.”

Carter expanded on Willard, saying the soon-to-be sixth year head coach’s style made an impact on him.

“He basically lets you know you’re going to work,” Carter said. “I’ve seen the way he pushes them in practice and everything like that. You know, that’s what I want; to get better. Playing for Coach Willard I’ll get better. He pushes you and he’s going to make you an all-around better person too.”

Carter, who officially visited Seton Hall in November, said that Isaiah Whitehead also contacted him throughout the recruitment process.

The 14th-highest rated amateur in Chicago, Carter played high school ball for St. Rita of Cascia High School. A three-star recruit according to Rivals.com, he will join Dalton Soffer and Veer Singh in the Hall’s incoming rookie class.

The Pirates were not the only Big East team to make a pitch to Carter, as DePaul and Providence both extended offers. Memphis and VCU were among the other notable schools to show interest.

Carter, who is interested in studying business, comes from one of the better high school programs in the country. With four Division 1-bound players, the Mustangs certainly did their part to uphold Chicago’s reputation as a breeding ground for basketball talent in 2014.

At 6-foot, 9-inches and 220 pounds, Carter’s size will give SHU some much needed help in the frontcourt. Big East Rookie of the Year Angel Delgado received little help down low this past season, and that was with departing senior Brandon Mobley still around. With Mobley gone, the Pirates were desperate for another big man.

According to ESPN Insider’s scouting report, Carter has the potential to be a force in the paint.

“A big body with a broad frame and ample strength in both his upper and lower body, Carter has the physical tools to be very productive on the interior,” the report states. “He doesn’t mind contact inside the lane and gives a fairly wide target when posting up. He has more ability to pass out of the post than most young bigs and will also run the floor with long strides. Defensively, he protects the rim aggressively, challenging shots and dribble drivers alike.”

As for his weaknesses, ESPN does go on to say that the 17-year-old is still raw offensively, but overall believes Carter is “a well-developed prospect.”

“I really want to work on getting stronger, working on my legs, start running,” Carter said when asked what he wanted to improve upon. “My all-around game, working on trying to knock down that little mid-range jumper, my post game.”

With the addition of Carter, Seton Hall now has just one scholarship left for the 2015 campaign. Seton Hall is known to be recruiting Ray Kasongo, a junior college forward.

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.

Author: Gary Phillips

Gary Phillips is a journalism major at Seton Hall University where he serves as Editor-in-Chief of The Setonian. In addition, Phillips is also a columnist at FanRag Sports and a contributing writer for Jets Wire. He has also interned at CNBC and The Bergen Record and written for Bleacher Report and Double G Sports, in addition to freelance work. You can follow Phillips on Twitter @GaryHPhillips and see all of his work at https://garyphillips.journoportfolio.com/home-page/.