MLKSA announces annual ball

Martin Luther King Jr. believed in the value of education and social justice. He dedicated his time to discussing his message with America. Nearly 50 years after his death, we have a Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Association at Seton Hall.

MLKSA is holding their annual ball on March 21 at 7:30 p.m. in the University Center. The event was developed and planned by two co-chairs, Crystal Watson, a junior psychology major, and Sasha Anthony Pierre-Louis, a sophomore diplomacy and international relations major.

“MLKSA ball is an event we hold to commemorate a cultural/ historical aspect in society that we believe could be entertaining and enlightening for the student body,” said Watson in an email.

The theme of the ball this year is “Rhythm of the Soul: A Celebration of Black Music.” Participants will be able to dance and embrace the dynamic sensation of black music, according to Watson.

“The ball is a celebration of the profession of African American music starting back in the 1800’s till present,” said Pierre-Louis.

“MLKSA’s purpose is to highlight issues of social justice and bring awareness to them on the Seton Hall University campus.”

Other than the ball, MLKSA puts on about seven big events throughout the year to highlight their mission, according to Watson.

“MLKSA strives to continue the legacy of Dr. King,” said Watson. “We value education, advocacy for social justice issues and participation in community outreach. The program fosters leaders who can work with others to acquire numerous skills within the program, which can then be utilized to spread the mission once outside of Seton Hall’s walls.”

The ball is specifically designed to be fun and interactive that will educate students of all races and ethnicities, according to Pierre-Louis.

“We let people know about our mission through continuous programing, community outreach and open on-campus discussions involving not just the student body but also the faculty and staff,” said Pierre-Louis.

The association is also celebrating their sapphire anniversary, being together for 45 years.

Rebecca White can be reached at Rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.

Author: Rebecca White

Rebecca White is from Orange County, California and is a senior majoring in Communication. She started out as the Pirate Life Copy Editor her sophomore year, worked her way up to Assistant Pirate Life Editor her junior year, and enters her senior year as Pirate Life Editor. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her time at Seton Hall she has interned for CNBC and CupidsPulse.com, an entertainment site where she coordinates the celebrity interviews. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.