Faculty jazz ensemble to perform at SOPAC

[caption id="attachment_9576" align="alignnone" width="300"]Gloria Thurmond/Staff Photographer Gloria Thurmond/Staff Photographer[/caption] The grass has finally reappeared and it is a clear mark that the unforgettable season of live concerts is right around the corner. Rather than wait for summer, the students of Seton Hall can take advantage of a free annual concert provided by the Seton Hall University Faculty Jazz Ensemble. The concert will take place on March 24 in the South Orange Performing Arts Center and is part of the sixth season of the series. Dr. Gloria Thurmond, Director of the Jazz ‘N the Hall concert series, encourages students to attend to the ensemble’s performance, which she stated “is widely recognized and acclaimed by the University and the general public for its energetic, entertaining and educational jazz performances.” The ensemble is made up of about seven members of the faculty. The Jazz ‘N the Hall program utilizes this group to, “present programs that will educate and nurture the awareness of jazz as the cultural and musical heritage of all Americans,” said Thurmond. The Jazz ‘N the Hall takes pride in bringing insight and learning into every performance. Professor Greg Scime, musical director and pianist, stated the essence of the band is about performance and educating the audience. “The ensemble is made up of the music faculty of Seton Hall, including a few friends, and together we perform many styles of jazz and classical music while teaching the history of jazz,” said Scime. Having the concert on March 24 is significant as Elvis Presley joined the army on March 24, 1958, according to Scime. In dedication to this music mogul, the ensemble will include members of the U.S. Military Academy jazz band. Scime also stressed the importance of enjoying jazz music live. “Hearing jazz live is a totally different experience than on recording; it invokes a powerful feeling within the audience,” said Scime. Alyssa Gallombardo, a sophomore marketing major and member of the Seton Hall student marching band, also cited the benefits of listening to a live performance. “For me, hearing music live brings out more real emotion and hype than listening to my iPod,” said Gallombardo. “As a musician, there is no better feeling than when (the audience) feels the same way.” The ensemble is composed of teachers that have performed around the world, including Douglas Purviance, a bass trombonist and winner of several Grammy’s, according to Scime. Scime himself will perform this summer in Italy. He noted that “jazz is ‘America’s Music,’ but is actually popular worldwide.”   Free tickets for students must be reserved prior to the event, through the SOPAC box office at 973-313-2787 or online at www. sopacnow.org, said Thurmond. Kelly Zarnowski can be reached at kelly.zarnowski@student.shu.edu.