Think about workers behind extended hours

In an article by Noora Badwan in this week’s issue of The Setonian, the Student Government Association (SGA) announced that the cafeteria hours will be extended until 2:15 p.m. for lunch, until 8:15 p.m. for dinner and with more Galleon Dining options open at 10 a.m., starting in the fall 2015 semester. Additionally, SGA is working to extend gym hours. We should be very grateful for these extensions and always keep in mind the workers of the cafeteria, especially, who slave to get our meals out and clean up our dining space. Remember that the reason why the cafeteria hours are the way they are is because there has to be time to make our meals and clean up. The least we can do is not leave trash on the tables, now that we are asking them to work even faster to put out our meals. Quite frankly, it seems downright greedy to ask Dining Services to extend the hours just because we want to eat at a certain time. We should all thank the workers the next time we eat in the cafeteria. From 1:45 p.m. until 4:45 p.m. (and likewise with the other hours in accordance to the break from breakfast to lunch), the workers are not just hanging around, which seems to not occur to most students. They are cooking, putting out the dishes and cleaning. So, that is something to think about. Also, the fact that now students want gym hours to be extended seems a bit greedy. Students who have homework, classes, jobs and internships are working at the gym, swiping people in and cleaning up after them. Asking them to stay later could be really inconvenient for their academic schedules. If that schedule change is adopted, everyone should be thanking them as well. Besides, our gym is not like a commercial gym where we’d have to pay every time we want to use one of the machines. We should be grateful enough that it is open until 10 p.m. If you want to go to a gym until 11 p.m., go pay for a membership. No one is stopping you.