MBB: Veer Singh, three-star recruit, commits to SHU

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="665"] NJ.com[/caption]     Veer Singh is going to be wearing blue and white when he comes to college in the fall. A product out of New York’s Thurgood Marshall Academy, the talented forward announced that he had officially committed to Seton Hall University on Monday. The story was first reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv. “He’s going to commit to Seton Hall,” Singh’s mother, Renee, told Zagoria over the phone. “He’ll be going in 2015.” Singh, whose full name is Amarveer, was originally expected to be a part of the 2016 recruiting class, but ended up with enough high school credits to join this year’s group. He originally attended St. Peter’s Prep in Jersey City, N.J. before transferring to Thurgood Marshall prior to the start of this academic year. Singh’s choice to stay close to home at Seton Hall should come as no surprise, as the Pirates have a few familiar faces on hand. “Seton Hall, I feel like I fit in well with the guys,” Singh told Evan Daniels of ScoutHoops.com. “Angel Delgado has known me since I was a 6-foot, 160-pound freshman. He’s always been around. Khadeen (Carrington) has been there as well from the lightning.” Singh’s mother also moved to the area in the past year, another reason he wants to stay local. Now 6-foot, 7-inches and 180 pounds, Singh, a forward, is expected to see action on the wings of Seton Hall’s offense. His height, athleticism and shooter’s touch should make him a threat to score the ball, if not in 2015 then down the road. A three-star prospect according to Yahoo! Sports and 247Sports, Singh now joins Dalton Soffer in the Pirates’ 2015 class. Soffer, a guard who will come to South Orange all the way from Poway, Calif., signed on to join the Hall’s program in November. https://youtu.be/OXp3c_imCkA Seton Hall was not the only school to make a run at Singh. He had also received offers from Big East rivals Villanova and Creighton, other local programs such as Fordham, Manhattan and Rutgers and big-time schools like Penn State, Oregon State and Cincinnati. Louisville had interest, but did not make an offer, according to Yahoo! Sports. The consensus is that Singh’s commitment to SHU is a positive one. With seniors Brandon Mobley, Haralds Karlis and Stephane Manga departing at year’s end and Jaren Sina having transferred, the Hall has now used up two of their four available scholarships. The program will likely use one of those scholarships on a big man, as the Pirates will need to replace Mobley in the starting lineup next season. Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.