10 years of service brings Grammy nominee to campus

Photo courtesy of Pau Aragay

The Joseph A. Unanue Latino Institute will celebrate its 10th anniversary through a number of events which will mark the rich legacy of service to the Seton Hall Latino community.

The institute will hold a panel discussion, “U.S., Cuba and the Vatican: A new turn in history” on March 2 which will discuss how the historical breakthrough between the nation is a significant chapter in diplomacy. On March 18 there will be a concert and lecture by Bobby Sanabria and Quarteto Ache.

Sanabria is an American Latino jazz performer and a seven time Grammy nominated drummer. He is also a percussionist, composer, documentary film producer and writer specializing in Latin jazz. Ache will provide a talk on African-Cuban roots. These individuals will bring Latin culture to the University.

“If you love music, history, the arts in general, anthropology, diplomacy or just want to enjoy a terrific experience with a Latin musical legend, this event is an exhilarating opportunity for students to immerse themselves in Latin culture and music,” said Denisse Oller, the executive director of the Latino Institute.

Additionally, the celebration will continue with more programs, including an event on March 19 to discuss job searching and empowering students and bringing Cardinal Sean Patrick O’Malley, Archbishop of Boston, to speak on April 22.

“I had many dreams for the institute and thanks to my team and the University community, we have been able to accomplish many of our goals and expanded our outreach beyond the walls of Seton Hall,” said Oller. “One of our pillar missions is empowering our students in our community to rise above expectation and become tomorrow’s leaders.”

The institute was created through significant contributions from Joseph and Carmen Ana Unanue. Since 2005, the program has had a mission to educate students as well as offer a number of opportunities which include scholarships, leadership programs, outreach programs for at risk high school students and developing students as humanitarians.

The institute has progressed over a decade by offering scholarships, creating the Unanue Latino Speaker Series and bringing scholars and leaders to speak with students at the University. According to Oller and her colleagues, the institute will progress significantly over the course of the next ten years especially through scholarly work and business opportunities.

Nisha Desai can be reached at nisha.desai@student.shu.edu.