Tennis ousted by Stonybrook

Twitter: @SHU_Tennis

The Seton Hall Tennis team battled wintery weather on Saturday, but dropped their second straight head-to-head contest, falling 6-1 to the Stony Brook Seawolves.

The Pirates just couldn’t get anything going in their first action in two weeks. The three-time defending American East champion-Seawolves took every point but one, as junior Isabell Klingert earned her 4th straight victory.

Klingert matched up against Stony Brook senior Cassandra Dix winning her match 2-1. Klingert took the first set 6-3, but struggled mightily in the second being swept 6-0. The final set went to tiebreaker, with Klingert rallying to win 7-6 (5).

The Pirates didn’t go down without a fight on the singles side of the draw, however. For the second-straight match freshman Luize Liva Strike battled to force a third set against sophomore Adey Osabouhein after dropping the first set 7-5. Osabouhein prevailed 7-5, 3-6, 10-7. Junior Hannah Liljekvist was also one set away from gaining a singles victory over freshman Kistina Vozniak after opening the first set 4-6 before losing the second set 6-1 and the third 7-6 (5).

The Pirates had little success on the doubles side as well, with the exception of Liljekvist and teammate junior Julia Keenan. Liljekvist and Keenan defeated Osabouhien and junior Louise Badoche 8-4.

Stony Brook was able to pick up victories in the other two doubles matches however, with Dix and senior Polina Movchan defeating Seton Hall freshman Katie Kim and senior Madison Shoemaker 8-2 and junior Becky Shtilkind and Vozniak defeating Seton Hall freshman Marisa Quevedo and Strike 8-2.

Seton Hall will be looking to avoid a third straight loss and pick up their first head-to-head victory of the young spring season when they take on Longwood University Lancers on Friday Feb. 20 at 6 p.m. before heading to Navy on Saturday.

Kevin Huebler can be reached at kevin.huebler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter at @KHuebler26