Tech advances could mean end of snow days

Each year, our society continues to grow more technologically savvy. Today, there are thousands of online classes held each day. With these technological advances becoming highly integrated into our culture, it may be possible for weather to place less of a hindrance on classes.

According to a 2013 education study that tracked the progression and growth in popularity of online courses over the past decade, approximately 6.3 million students were taking online classes during the year the study was released and the number was predicted to grow since the research was developed.

Although certain classes like fine art courses and classes that require a lab would be difficult to conduct online, class materials for most majors can be submitted virtually anywhere. Since snow days present costly expenses to universities due to the need for snow removal, the ability to move all classes online would take the pressure off of university officials to clear snow in a timely matter.

In addition, it would allow students to make the most out of the time that would have been lost from their classes. The student response to the potential of the elimination of snow days is anticipated.

“I would be so upset if I went to school and there wasn’t the possibility of a snow day,” said Amber Schuele, a senior social and behavioral sciences major.

“I love snow days,” said senior English major Kathryn Maglione. “Growing up, I was always excited when school got cancelled and so I don’t know how I would feel if snow days were no longer part of the equation.”

However, one student said that having classes online during snow days would not bother her.

“It wouldn’t phase me if most of my classes were online because a lot of my work is submitted that way,” said Kathryn Corbett, a senior art education major.

Unless technical difficulties ensue, the ability to eliminate snow days may already be possible for most classes. Although snow days are embraced by most, it may be a question of how much longer they will be necessary for classes.

Rachel Hassett is a junior journalism major from Marlton, N.J. She can be reached at rachel.hassett@student.shu.edu.