Step up your glam game

As you lay asleep awaiting the sound of your alarm, you may be dreaming of beach waves and that summertime glow.

But when it comes time to wake up and do your make up, it is best to leave those looks in your dreams and break out the dark shadows and bold lip colors for chic, clean and charismatic cold weather looks.

A finished face starts with a strong foundation and yes we are talking about foundation: face makeup. Before we go any further beware of liquid foundation or powder and be sure to match the color to your skin tone—an orangey tint evidently darker than your neck has the potential to diminish the appeal of your whole look (don’t be ashamed, a professional’s help is often necessary).

Once you’ve got the color just right, it’s time to contour using bronzing powder and sometimes a foundation stick, such as the one by CoverGirl, in a darker shade. Contouring works magic, highlighting and defining your cheekbones. Add a shimmer mineral finish (MAC has a great one!) to the apples of your cheeks and you will light up a room.

Those grand arches are not to be ignored. Although we may not bejewel or dye our eyebrows, filling them is enough to keep it neat, clean and still make them pop. Often done with a brow pencil, brow gel and even neutral eye shadows, they will make them look more full and defined. Avon, Milani and Sephora have great kits!

Just below is the most alluring feature on one’s face: the eyes. Natural is nice, but dramatic liner and dark, shimmery shadows are sure to steal the show. Using the Naked3 palette, Too Faced Return of the Sexy Eye or the Bobbi Brown Soho Chic Eye Palette (all available at Sephora), use a light shimmery color as the base to coat the eyelid and we’re going to mix here!

Take the lid color and combine it with a darker shade of the same color to fill the crease. Save the dark browns, blacks and grays for the outer corners and simply dust it with your lightest shimmer shadow in your palette. With every blink and bat of the eyelash, you’ll be kicking the glam up a notch. And for the finishing touch: lipstick. Deep warm reds like All Out Gorgeous by MAC, berries like The Scene by MAC and deep plums like Living Legend also by MAC layered over a lip plumper and paired with a nude lip liner will give your lips a full and flirty look.

Enjoy these makeup trends while the cold weather lasts. Soon you’ll be lying on a beach dreaming of berry lipstick and smoky eyes under the warm summer sun.

Michelle Foti can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.