WBB wins in overtime

Twitter: @SHUWBB

Led by upperclassmen Daisha Simmons and Tabatha Richardson-Smith, the Seton Hall Pirates were able to rally in the second half and knock off the Georgetown Hoyas 99-85 in overtime on the road on Sunday.

The Pirates improved to 19-2 on the season, 8-1 in conference play. The win extends the team’s win streak to six.

After a poor shooting performance in the first half, the Pirates found themselves down 40-31 at halftime. In the second half the Hall came out strong offensively and were able to outscore the Hoyas 51-42 to force overtime. In the overtime period it was all Seton Hall, outscoring the Hoyas 17-3 and cruised to the 99-85 victory.

Daisha Simons and Richardson-Smith led the way for the Pirates offensively with 32 and 29 points respectively. The two, who have been leading the team in scoring this season, accounted for 61 of the Pirates’ 99 points.

Junior New York native, Tiffany Jones also played a crucial role, nearly double doubling with 6 points and 10 rebounds.

Despite fouling out, Newark native Ka-Deidre Simmons also chipped in 17 points to help the Pirates win.

The Pirate’s toughest task on defense was stopping Dorothy Adomako who accounted for 25 of the team’s 85 points, and also led the team with 9 rebounds.

With this victory the Pirates now improve to 19-2 on the season and 8-1 in Big East play. The Hall now sits ahead of DePaul, St. Johns and Butler who are all 6-2 and are in action Sunday.

After going 2-0 in their Big East road trip against Villanova and Georgetown, the Pirates will have a week off before they host St. John’s next Sunday, Feb. 1, to open a three-game home stand where they will also host Providence and Creighton.

Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu