Power your day with breakfast

Most students sleep right through the most important meal of the day, myself included.

Breakfast, apparently, is supposed to give you energy for the rest of your day, get your metabolism started in the morning and help with weight loss.

Instead of skipping this meal, from now on I challenge you to start your day with a healthy power breakfast, which will lead to increased concentration and higher energy throughout the day.

Sophomore Abigail Gunther, a psychology major, said the caf has many power breakfast options.

“Scrambled eggs at the omelet station and a breakfast sandwich from Ms. Virginia would be a good power breakfast from the caf,” Gunther said.

Sophomore Julia Lanuez, an education major, also goes to the caf when she needs a power breakfast.

“I usually grab yogurt and fresh fruit from the caf for breakfast,” Lanuez said.

However, if you don’t have a meal plan and instead would prefer something that you can make in your dorm, sophomore Emily Green, a diplomacy major, has some advice.

“I either make toasted peanut butter and banana bread or I put granola in a cup with peanut butter, blueberries and soy milk,” Green said.

You could also make yourself oatmeal or other cereals in your dorm, as all you need is a microwave.

If you don’t want to make your own breakfast, Dunkin’ Donuts offers many healthy breakfast options. Anything that has a green smart option next to the item is considered to be one of their lite items. These items range from 100-500 calories and include breakfast sandwiches like the egg white flatbread, egg and cheese, ham egg and cheese and the sliced turkey breakfast sandwich.

If you’re not in the mood for a breakfast sandwich, Dunkin’ also offers lite muffins, bagels and oatmeal options.

Whether you’re in the caf, in your dorm or eating at Dunkin,’ power breakfasts have never been easier with the many options around campus and right in your dorm.

Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca. white@student.shu.edu.