New beginnings bring new opportunities

Two weeks have passed since we saw the ball drop in Times Square signaling the commencement of our New Year’s resolutions and with that new beginnings.

With that “out with old, in with new” attitude comes a new perspective. With an entire year ahead of us and a new semester, a new perspective can help us tackle new skills. Applying a new perspective can advance students to opportunities such as internships, jobs or discovering something new about themselves or their community.

By starting fresh with a new year, we have a chance to wipe the slates clean and look at things, not only from a new perspective, but from a clearer perspective. Hindsight is 20/20, so we can look back at 2014 and learn from our mistakes, being sure not to repeat them in 2015. Past experiences can help us advance in our studies, in our internships and in all varieties of relationships.

During winter break we had the opportunity to catch our breath and prepare for the spring semester by resting and regrouping. Rest is important to our overall health, so we aren’t overworked, and regrouping is imperative for the meticulous work ethic we all strive to have. After a month of rest time, we are now fully prepared to head into the new semester, with new, amplified goals.

Whether we reached all of our 2014 goals or simply want to make new ones for 2015, new beginnings offer a sense of motivation that only seems to be present at the start of something new. Take advantage of this newfound motivation and channel it to something positive!

With 365 days ahead of us, we have time and opportunity to accomplish great things. Try to add more adventure into your life, by doing something spontaneous, traveling or even taking a hike with some friends to see some amazing views and the world from a different vantage point.

Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.

Author: Rebecca White

Rebecca White is from Orange County, California and is a senior majoring in Communication. She started out as the Pirate Life Copy Editor her sophomore year, worked her way up to Assistant Pirate Life Editor her junior year, and enters her senior year as Pirate Life Editor. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her time at Seton Hall she has interned for CNBC and CupidsPulse.com, an entertainment site where she coordinates the celebrity interviews. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.