Simmons squared: Women win 10th straight behind Daisha and Didi

Seton Hall Athletics

The Seton Hall women’s team pulled off their tenth win in a row Friday night against NJIT. With the 74-62 win, the Pirates now sit at an 11-1 record while remaining undefeated at home.

Transfer graduate student Daisha Simmons led the Pirates in scoring, posting 22 points against the Highlanders. Ka-Deidre Simmons added 18 points of her own with six assists while Bra’Shey Ali scored 13. Ali also recorded her fourth double-double of the season. Her 14 rebounds, which included six boards on the offensive end, was the most for a Seton Hall player in a game this season.

The Pirates never trailed against the Highlanders, maintaining a double-digit advantage for most of the game. Early on, Ka-Deirdre Simmons hit her first four shots from the field, including a pair of three-pointers, to give Seton Hall a 25-7 lead before the game had even reached the second media timeout.

Once the second half opened it was more of the same as the Pirates kept the ballgame out of NJIT’s reach. Their largest lead of the night came with a Ka-Deidre Simmons assist to Daisha Simmons in the paint at 17:07 making the game 48-29.

With fewer than nine minutes to play, NJIT senior guard Alyssa Albanese drove to the rim to make it 59-49, but again Seton Hall scored on its next possession to push its lead back up to 12. Again, Ka-Deidre Simmons provided the offense, hitting a baseline jumper start a 10-1 Pirates run that extended the lead to 19 points.

The Pirates will continue their home stretch on Sunday December 28 against Georgia. Tip-off is set for 2:00 p.m. in Walsh Gym.

Olivia Mulvihill can be reached at Olivia.Mulvihill@student.shu.edu or on twitter @oliviamulvihill