SHU WBB keeps rolling, extends win streak to six

Seton Hall Athletics

Seton Hall women’s basketball extended their winning streak to six games with their 56-43 victory over the Fordham Rams on Friday, Dec. 5.

Seton Hall improved to 7-1 on the season with the win while Fordham fell to 4-4 with the loss.

Ka-Deidre Simmons, one of three Pirates to score in double figures, led the Pirates in scoring with 15 points on 6-15 shooting.

Also scoring in double figures for the Pirates was graduate student Daisha Simmons, who finished with 14 points and redshirt junior Bra’Shey Ali with 10 points. Simmons streak of three straight games with 20 points or more was snapped with her 14 point outing.

The Pirates got off to a slow start, missing their first eight shots and falling in a 10-0 hole before Daisha Simmons got the Hall on the board with her steal leading to a breakaway layup.

Seton Hall then caught fire and took their first lead 16-15 on Tabitha Richardson-Smith’s runner in the lane in the midst of a 14-0 run for the blue and white.

Richardson-Smith nailed a three at the halftime buzzer to put the Pirates up 31-21 at the intermission.

Fordham’s fought back in the second half, cutting the Seton Hall lead to 46-40 with 4:26 remaining in the game. The Pirates fended off the Rams comeback effort with strong defense and clutch free throws from Daisha Simmons.

The Hall saw their streak of six straight games scoring at least 75 points come to an end. Fordham’s defense ranks 15th in the nation scoring defense giving up just 51.8 points per game heading into the matchup.

The Seton Hall defense held their own allowing Fordham to shoot just 28.8 percent shooting and forcing 19 turnovers compared to only six for the Pirates.

Seton Hall will begin a six game home stand on Sunday Dec. 7 as they host the Lafayette Leopard in Walsh Gym at 2 p.m.

Matthew Zeigafuse can be reache