Tis the season to do 12 acts

The Christmas celebration began this year on Dec. 2 with the annual tree lighting for the Seton Hall community.

The lighting brings faculty and staff alike to the Green, where everyone donates a toy for the Division of Volunteer Efforts (DOVE), or drops off non-perishable food items to be donated to St. John’s Soup Kitchen and Our Lady of Sorrows food pantry.

Blue Santa hats in support of the school are the fashion of the day.

In keeping with the University’s mission of servant leadership, Seton Hall will also be participating in the 12 Acts of Christmas Kindness movement this year. Sometimes being kind is overlooked in the rush of shopping and consumerism, but the 12 Acts of Kindness initiative is looking to bring back simple, but sincere acts, according to the Seton Hall website.

The Setonian reported last year, it is now in its second year and “was originally inspired by nursing student Hillary Sadlon.”

“Being a nurse is about compassion – sometimes all you can do is hold a person’s hand,” Sadlon said on the SHU web page.

According to shu.edu there are many simple ways to participate and “give your heart this Christmas.” Students can participate in DOVE’s toy drive, write thank you notes for those close to you, send Christmas cards to soldiers overseas through the Red Cross, donate blood, volunteer at a soup kitchen or food bank, or play with the animals at a local shelter.

All of these can be done throughout the whole year and are not just limited to the month of December.

The 12 Acts of Christmas Kindness movement also encourages those who partake to come up with their own ideas to make the season a little brighter.

According to an article on Nj.com, Sadlon started this trend of kindness as a “personal birthday mission.”

According to the article, at last year’s tree lighting ceremony, President Esteban said, “I hope that the entire community will follow Hillary’s example and perform their own acts of kindness this Christmas.”

To support the movement, Facebook and Twitter users can add a “twibbon” to their profile picture or icon. It’s a cartoon wreath with a blue ribbon. The movement is also using the hashtag #shukindess to spread awareness and keep the generosity going.

Rosemary Sweigart can be reached at rosemary.sweigart@student.shu.edu.