Rockin' around the Christmas trees'

A classic holiday tradition is to visit local Christmas trees that are decorated for our viewing pleasure right here in South Orange and around the state.

An obvious choice for Seton Hall students is the stunning Christmas tree outside the Chapel of Immaculate Conception, which was lit on Dec. 2. The annual tree lighting is something students look forward to with delight each year.

“It’s a source of inspiration for students who are trying to get through tough finals,” sophomore Aaron Muller, a biology athletic training major said.

In addition to the Seton Hall Christmas tree, there are many other local trees to visit in the coming month.

There is the world-famous Rockefeller Center Christmas tree in New York City, which was lit Wednesday, Dec. 3. This tree has served as a worldwide symbol for the holidays since the first Rockefeller tree was put up in 1931. Taking a trip to see this spectacular tree is a great way to take a break from studying and enjoy a fun day trip with friends.

Another local tree lighting event popular among Seton Hall students is the tree lighting in Madison, N.J., located about 20 minutes from South Orange.

“It is nice because it is on Main Street so you can sit in a restaurant or café and watch the parade go by and then go to the town center and watch the tree get lit up,” sophomore Stephanie John, an education major said. “There is normally a Christmas concert going on too. It’s a great way to spread holiday cheer.”

Another great event to check out is the Smithville light show in Smithville, N.J. Each year, a wonderful array of lights on top of Lake Meone is lit in a lighting ceremony synchronized to popular holiday songs. The lights will be on display Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings from 5:30 to 8 p.m. The display will run from Nov. 27 to Jan. 6.

The Cranbury Christmas lights in Cranbury, N.J., is yet another fantastic display of lights. This year they are adding 16,000 lights to their new 36-foot tall mega tree. All together over 120,000 lights will be on display starting Nov. 28 from 6 to 9 p.m. The Cranbury Christmas lights is also well known for being a display for charity. The display is free, but any donations received go directly to those in need.

Rachel O’Connor can be reached at rachel.oconnor@student.shu.edu.