Time to dance: SHU volleyball going to the NCAA tourney

Twitter: @SHUAthletics

For the first time in program history, Seton Hal volleyball is going to the Big Dance.

News of the Pirates’ selection into the NCAA Tournament was announced Sunday night. After securing an at-large bid, Seton Hall will play Brigham Young University on Thursday, Dec. 4 in the first round of the 64-team tournament. The match will start at 7 p.m. ET and will be held at the University of Arizona.

The news comes less than 24 hours after the Hall fell to the Creighton Bluejays in the championship match of the Big East Tournament. It was the first time Seton Hall made the tournament since 2011. Both teams, along with Marquette, will represent the Big East Conference in the NCAA tourney.

Seton Hall is coming off of a season in which they went 28-7, recording the second-most wins in team history. Their strong 15-3 conference record factored in big time when it came time for Selection Sunday.

It was also the third time the Pirates had a single-digit loss season.

Now, Seton Hall has a chance to continue their historic season. If they can take down BYU, the Pirates would either go up against Arizona or Yale.

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.

Author: Gary Phillips

Gary Phillips is a journalism major at Seton Hall University where he serves as Editor-in-Chief of The Setonian. In addition, Phillips is also a columnist at FanRag Sports and a contributing writer for Jets Wire. He has also interned at CNBC and The Bergen Record and written for Bleacher Report and Double G Sports, in addition to freelance work. You can follow Phillips on Twitter @GaryHPhillips and see all of his work at https://garyphillips.journoportfolio.com/home-page/.