SAVE Team encourages SHU to take pledge

The University Sexual Assault and Violence Prevention (SAVE) Team have set up tables with computers outlining the “It’s On Us” Pledge, and invited everyone on campus to be part of the discussion and solution of sexual violence.

The Pledge targets students determined to increase knowledge and prevention of sexual violence. The first “step” is awareness; being able to identify situations in which people are vulnerable. By signing the pledge, one further accepts the role of intervening when a situation arises, or find someone who can.

Sandra Ackerman, a staff psychologist in the Department of Counseling and Psychological Services, indicated that the final element is to “surround oneself with people who understand the proper way to treat others.”

“It’s just an awareness campaign,” Ackerman said. “To build awareness around the issue and let people say they are going to be a part of the solution.”

The pledge will be available to all students and faculty for signing until Friday Nov. 7 Seton Hall’s Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) organizations, including Alpha Sigma Phi, Zeta Psi, Sigma Pi, Phi Kappa Theta and Alpha Chi Rho will produce and release a replica of the “It’s On Us” Pledge videos found on the website, to claim responsibility and awareness to the situation.

Anna Griffin can be reached at anna.griffin@student.shu.edu.