Win a date for diabetes

Alpha Gamma Delta will host its fourth annual Date for Diabetes on Nov. 12 at 8 p.m. The event will help benefit the international women’s fraternity philanthropy: The “Date for Diabetes is a bachelor auction in which male Seton Hall students will be auctioned off – he and the lucky lady will have the opportunity to enjoy an ice cream social in the back of the room,” Priscilla Wu, sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, said. Each bachelor also comes with a small gift for the woman who wins, Wu said.

The event will also have 50/50 basket raffles as well as a bake sale. Tickets to the event are $5 and after purchasing a ticket the attendee will receive ten raffle tickets for the night. Additional tickets will also be available for purchase, Wu said.

According to its website, the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation’s goal is “to impact and enrich our communities by providing essential support for education, philanthropy and leadership.” The foundation also contributes to diabetes research and education, as well as patient funding.

In previous years, members of other Greek organizations such as Alpha Sigma Phi, Zeta Psi, and Phi Kappa Theta were auctioned off, as were members of non-Greek organizations like the Filipino League at Seton Hall (FLASH) and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Association (MLKSA).

In 2011, Alpha Gamma Delta raised more the $1,000 for juvenile diabetes. It is the international women’s fraternity’s largest fundraiser of the year.

Jessica Lauria, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, was an escort at the event last year. According to Lauria, the sorority was able to attain Jewel Chapter status in just one night. According to the website, “collegiate chapters gain membership in the Jewel Society when they raise $2,000 or more for the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation annually.” The Zeta Tau chapter at Seton Hall has achieved this ranking the past two years in a row and hopes to do so again at this year’s event.

Wu said the event is a great way for students to get to know other students and promote unity between different organizations. The event will take place in the University Center Main Lounge.

Tickets for the Date for Diabetes event will be sold outside the cafeteria in the University Center on Nov. 6 until 4 p.m.

Rosemary Sweigart can be reached at rosemary.sweigart@student.shu.edu.