Enjoy Halloween festivities in residence halls

Halloween is quickly approaching and the Department of Housing and Residence Life and the resident assistants are combining efforts to make it an enjoyable holiday here on campus.

Imani Wills, an RA in Xavier Hall, is running an all-campus trick-or-treat that will take place on Oct. 31 from 8:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Candy and a Halloween safety tip, which will highlight the importance of holiday safety, will be distributed in the lobbies of all residence halls on campus. All students are welcome to partake in the trick or treat event.

Tara Hart, the director of Housing & Residence Life, encourages students to dress up and get in the holiday spirit.

“Trick-or-treat is one of the most common Halloween festivities,” Wills said in an email. “I wanted to keep that spirit alive, but also make it inclusive so that all students could participate…All students are welcome!”

Immediately following trick- or-treating, a Halloween program in the University Center Faculty Lounge at 9 p.m. will include festive activities for all students, including a costume competition and a raffle to win prizes. Campus events like trick-or-treating are just one way that students will be able to enjoy the holiday this Halloween.

Some students, like sophomores Alanna Dalessandro and Siobhan McGirl, intend to hang out with friends for the holiday. They said that they were unsure of any costume ideas for this year, but enjoyed dressing up as Tom Cruise’s character from “Risky Business” with their friend group last year.

“Here at school it’s up to you to make good choices and go out and do what you want to do,” McGirl, who is an RA in Boland Hall, said. “We definitely have more freedom here. Halloween is like a whole weekend and there’s going to be stuff going on every night, so it’s up to you to balance it out and do what is right for you.”

Ashley Turner can be reached at Ashley.turner@student.shu.edu