Commuter pilot program in full swing

To commuters who have been registered for the pilot program, as well as the Department of Housing and Residence Life, the new commuter hall swipe-in policy has been a success.

The policy allows registered commuters to enter residence halls Monday through Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. without needing to be signed in by a resident. It is a pilot program, which means that this semester is a test run.

Just under 200 commuters have been registered for the program and have been “using the privilege to enhance their connection to campus and to enrich our community. It has been a positive outcome thus far for all of us,” Tara Hart, director of housing and residence life, said in an email.

Initially, there was some issues in compliance surrounding the end time at which commuters could leave before incurring penalty, but after educational conversations between Housing and Residence life and participating commuters, there have been fewer incidents of rule violation.

“It is important for there to be a swipe-in policy because it keeps track of who is going into the dorms…I have not had much trouble with the 4:30 time limit,” said Ryan Tasayco, a freshman commuter who uses the swipe-in policy three to four times a day. “I think the program has been successful so far.”

Siobhan McGirl, a resident assistant and desk assistant in Boland Hall said, “So far the commuters have been very responsible. People were worried about issues like the pool table in Boland Hall not being taken care of correctly, but so far all of the supplies have been getting back. The commuters in the program have been very responsible.”

Ashley Turner can be reached at ashley.turner@student.shu.edu.