SAB coffee house

The Student Activities Board (SAB) is known for putting together memorable events that bring the Pirate community together. Some of the most commonly known ones are the fall and spring concerts, Groove Boston, open mic nights and their various coffee house events.

Some coffee house performers you might recall are last spring’s comedian, Jessica Campbell, or singer and songwriter, Lauren Marsh who performed at the coffee house held on Aug. 27.

“I guess I would say that I really love the Coffee House because it’s unique,” senior Kenya Golston said. “It’s not what you would expect from your typical coffee house experience. For example, last week I attended a coffee house event where we played bingo for cool prizes such as an Xbox. To add to the experience, there was music and refreshments as well as snacks that we could choose from.”

Through these coffee house events, SAB incorporates different types of entertainment from dancing, stand-up comedy, poetry and music.

“Our intention is to give a break to students and staff during the week which is why we intentionally have it on Wednesdays,” co-chair of SAB’s coffee house events, Daniel Chemey, said. “For an hour and a half, we supply snacks and drinks and give people the opportunity to relax and enjoy one of our many performers.”

The coffee house events can be enjoyed every Wednesday in the Cove at 8:30 p.m. Chemey explained that more commonly amateur performances are seen at SAB’s open mic nights, which are held the first Wednesday of every month.

“We welcome all to show up and are always looking to have newer and fresh performers to bring to see which ones have a better reaction with the students and staff on campus,” Chemey said.

Usually there is a large crowd at the coffee house events which provide a nice break from the hectic day to day. The newest coffee house performer will be John Rush on Aug. 22 at 8:30 p.m. in the Cove.

Rush is well known for his ability to play guitar, bass, harmonica, piano, saxophone, keyboard as well as percussion during his shows. He’s also referred to as “The Human iPod” because he sends out two large request books into the audience during the show and allows them to select his playlist. Audience members write the songs they want on post-it notes and stick them to the stage where Rush selects them at random and performs them.

On Nov. 12, Mike Deej will perform in The Cove for SAB’s coffee house event at 8:30 p.m.

Samantha Fabien can be reached at samantha.fabien@student.shu.edu.