MSOC still alive in Big East, need strong finish

Shupirates.com

After pulling off an enormous 1-0 upset over Georgetown (3-2-1 in conference play), the Pirates’ men’s soccer team dropped a home match to Providence, the 23rd ranked team in the nation, being shutout 3-0 last week. On Wednesday, the Pirates will try to rebound when they visit Indianapolis for a meeting with the Butler Bulldogs.

The Pirates share an identical record with the Bulldogs in conference play this season, both sitting at 1-4-1 in conference play. The blue and white have struggled on the road this season, and enter the match at a crucial point in both team’s winding regular season schedules.

Both Butler and Seton Hall are just two points behind Marquette (1-2-3 in conference play), which occupies the sixth and final spot needed for a berth in the conference tournament.

If Seton Hall can defeat Butler, the Pirates will be in a position to steal the final spot in the tournament with the final two games coming against Marquette (1-2-3 in conference play) and St. John’s (1-4-1 in the conference).

This season has been less than ideal for Seton Hall and while the team has shown the ability to hang with some of the best in the country, they have frequently found themselves stumbling against largely lesser opponents.

Led by Kai Green, who is tied for eighth in the conference for goals scored, the Pirates will look to garner some momentum—and more importantly, points—as they embark on the last leg of the season.

Following tomorrow’s match, the Pirates will return home to face Marquette on Nov. 11 and then travel to Queens, New York, to take on St. John’s on Nov. 6 in what will be their final regular season contest.

Thomas Duffy can be reached at thomas.duffy@student.shu.edu or on twitter @TJDhoops.