An inside look at studying abroad

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to travel the world once you graduate? Or to leave the familiarity of Seton Hall and get your master’s degree abroad or even study abroad during your undergraduate years? That’s exactly what Jimmy Miguel, Seton Hall Class of 2012 did, after graduating with a bachelors in business administration. Now, Miguel is an executive assistant at NBCUniversal, Inc.

During his time at Seton Hall, Miguel studied in China with the chair of the Department of Management, Dr. Jason Yin, and in India with professor of management, Dr. Amar Dev Amar. He got to be a tourist and climb the Great Wall of China and take group pictures in front of the Taj Mahal. In total, he has travelled to about 30 countries, including France and England.

“Being on the ground and seeing the sights, hearing the stories, and interacting with local business people is an experience you can’t replicate,” said Miguel.

After graduating from SHU, Miguel attended St. Mary's University in Twickenham, England

and earned a master’s degree in business administration.

“My ultimate goal and motivation…is to hopefully inspire others to break out of their comfort zone and go see what the world has to offer,” said Miguel. “If your desire is to pursue higher education, organizations like the Mountbatten Institute and Education First allow you to work while studying abroad.”

There are charity and volunteer organizations that Miguel recommends as well, such as the Peace Corps or Maximo Nivel. These organizations take volunteers to South America, Central America, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Africa, and the Pacific Islands, according to their websites.

Many financial organizations allow candidates to defer payments. Budget hostels hosted by companies such as AirBNB and Hostel World lower the cost of lodging overseas. Jobs abroad can also help a traveler. Travelers who may be looking to teach English in other countries could look into companies such as InterExchange and Language Corps.

“Whatever your professional niche is, there’s a way to strengthen that knowledge abroad,” said Miguel. “The ambiguity of going abroad forces you to confide in and engage with other students and workers around you who are just as ambitious.”

He also shared a favorite quote of his by the well-known comedian Amy Poehler from an interview she did on NBC, citing these as words to live by: “Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.”

Rosemary Sweigart can be reached at rosemary.sweigart@student.shu.edu.