10 things we like about the college lifestyle

The college lifestyle is something that students seem to look forward to for years, imagining playing Frisbee on the campus quad and staying up late with a whole new group of friends. Finally being a college student opens up a brand new way of life, whether it is completely unexpected or just as you imagined. Here are 10 things that we like about the college lifestyle:

1. Being independent without being fully immersed into adulthood. Becoming a college student gives us time to spread our wings and do things our own way, while still being able to rely on mom and dad for advice.

2. Everyone is passionate about what they are doing. Another nice thing about the college lifestyle is that students have finally started to study things that interest them. Becoming college students means choosing a major that you are passionate about and if you are lucky you are taught by professors who are equally as passionate as you.

3. We get to meet people from all walks of life. Going to a diverse university also facilitates this. With a 44 percent diversity rate, it is imperative to get perspective from other students and their cultures.

4. Access to important resources with networking opportunities. Whether networking with a professor on campus or utilizing the career center for internship possibilities, college is a great time to take advantage of the seemingly endless resources available to students.

5. Broadening our horizons. Being able to travel to New York City, study abroad and become fully immersed in the college culture, gives students perspective and broadens their horizons.

6. There are so many options, whether it be with clubs and organizations, sports and other hobbies. These options to get involved and find your niche during college become amazing opportunities to find yourself.

7. College life is also a transition period that brings about maturation and growth. This transition period in our lives gets us ready for “the real world” in that we learn how to do things such as balance a checkbook, maintain a monthly budget, and furnish an apartment/dorm.

8. Going to college brings new experiences. You can be anyone you want to be because you are independent for the first time. This freedom is exciting and brings about new adventures, such as learning how to ride the subway if you haven’t done that before, learning how to do laundry, and much more.

9. Create a new you and find yourself. College gives students the opportunity to start with a clean slate. You can take classes you never thought you would take and join clubs or organizations just to find out if you like them. Students also find passions and may end up changing their majors or adding a minor.

10. Making lifelong friends. During college you begin to understand why parents would always say “You’ll meet your lifelong friends in college.” That was probably because you will meet some amazing friends while experiencing this transition period together.

Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.