SHU Volleyball on a roll as Creighton, Georgetown come to SO

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

The streaking Pirates’ volleyball team (15-3) will start a busy weekend of play on Friday when they host Creighton University (12-6) in Walsh Gym at 7 p.m.

The matchup between the Hall (5-0) and the Bluejays (5-0) promises to excite, as the two are the only teams that remain undefeated in Big East play. Creighton was the favorite to win the conference heading into the 2014 season. By comparison, Seton Hall was ranked as the sixth best team.

This is the first time in program history that Seton Hall has opened the season with five straight Big East wins.

Saturday will see the Georgetown Hoyas (7-11) come to South Orange for the Pirates second match of the weekend. Georgetown has struggled within the Big East this season, putting up a 1-4 record.

That match is set to start at 5 p.m.

The Pirates are coming off a week that saw them go 3-0, taking down conference rivals St. John’s, Butler and Xavier.

Shelbey Manthorpe led the way over the Red Storm, finishing with a team-high 45 assists, 12 digs, eight kills and seven blocks.

Both her and her sister Stacey had double-doubles against Butler and Tessa Fournier recorded a career-high 28 digs against Xavier.

For Friday and Saturday, both games can be seen on shupirates.com

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu and on Twitter @GPhillips2727.

Author: Gary Phillips

Gary Phillips is a journalism major at Seton Hall University where he serves as Editor-in-Chief of The Setonian. In addition, Phillips is also a columnist at FanRag Sports and a contributing writer for Jets Wire. He has also interned at CNBC and The Bergen Record and written for Bleacher Report and Double G Sports, in addition to freelance work. You can follow Phillips on Twitter @GaryHPhillips and see all of his work at https://garyphillips.journoportfolio.com/home-page/.