SHU looking for PNC replacement

At the closing of the last academic year, PNC Bank, Seton Hall’s primary personal banking system, decided to close its branch office in the cafeteria and remove the ATM from Xavier Hall because the machines were being underutilized.

The moves were made in part because of the rising popularity of mobile banking. But since not everyone uses cell phones for banking, Seton Hall’s Department of Financial Services has searched for ways to continue to provide banking services on campus. The department sent out a request for proposals from banks near and around South Orange over the summer. The proposals are being analyzed now and a decision is expected by late October.

In the meantime, Financial Services has arranged for PNC to leave the ATM in the University Center based on a one-year extension from July.

“We went out to numerous banks; we went back and forth to get clarification and data,” said Stephen Graham, the University’s chief financial officer. “We realized it was going to take longer to finish that (request for proposal) process so we reached out to PNC to extend the program.”

The spot that was once a PNC branch in the cafeteria will continue to be used by Student Services to offer face-to-face help and information for students until a permanent use for it is found.

Anna Griffin can be reached at anna.griffin@student.shu.edu.