Gold star for NSCS

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) will welcome 334 new members at its induction ceremony on Oct. 17.

NSCS is Seton Hall’s largest organization, with over 800 members. Its three core values are scholarship, leadership and service.

“I hope that NSCS shows people that they must become well rounded students,” said Nicholas R. Luciano, a senior finance major who is president of the Seton Hall chapter. “They must be involved, high academic achievers, give back to the community, be a servant leader as well as build a network.”

Members of NSCS exemplify the organization’s core values through community service, scholarships, opportunities for leadership and study abroad, the ScholarCon national conference and the Planning to Achieve Collegiate Excellence (PACE) Program. NSCS is the only interdisciplinary honor society for first and second year students who achieve a 3.4 or higher grade point average.

New members hold a lifetime membership following their induction during sophomore or junior year.

Over the past year, Seton Hall’s chapter has achieved Gold STAR Status. This is an award given to the most active and engaged of the more than 300 student-run chapters in NSCS, according to an article released on the Seton Hall website about the achievement. The chapter will be able to apply for platinum status, the highest honor available, at the end of the year.

“Changing NSCS from a passive to an active organization on campus has been the best reward,” Luciano said.

With this membership, students are presented with the opportunity to attend ScholarCon alongside an estimated 1,000 other students nationwide, according to Luciano who attended the conference last year. At ScholarCon, NSCS members get together and celebrate academic achievement, listen to famous guest speakers, meet new people and build career networks, Luciano said.

Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.