SGA President Hoffman talks first year initiatives

Timothy Hoffman, president of the Student Government Association, has already had a big impact on the campus. Since becoming SGA president in April, Hoffman has taken steps to overhaul the old Student Government bylaws, which he said were confusing and did not define what SGA could do.

Hoffman has also introduced “Tim Talks,” an open forum that brings students together to share their concerns. One major goal is to get more student feedback.

“Student Government is a vehicle of change on campus,” Hoffman said. “We want to make sure that student’s concerns are addressed.”

Some early changes occurred over the summer. SGA and Seton Hall worked together to address previous student concerns on issues like parking. SGA also worked closely with the University’s administration on improvements in the Pirates Cove, the University Center Living Room, and the resident side of the Dining Hall.

Currently, the group’s treasurer, Jessica Page, and its secretary, Teagan Sebba, have been working on additional projects, including the new budget system implemented by the University that is proving difficult for some clubs to work with.

SGA also has committees such as the Village Relations Committee, which focuses on off-campus safety, the Student Life Committee, which has been working with Gourmet Dining Services to make sure that food quality is maintained in the Dining Hall, and the Academic Affairs Committee, which has been developing a University-wide honor code to maintain academic integrity.

Hoffman said that SGA’s mission is to serve as “bridge between students and administration.”

“If anyone ever needs something, I try to address everything right away,” Hoffman added. “I really enjoy being here to help everybody and I hope people take advantage of that.”

Ashley Turner can be reached at Ashley.turner@student.shu.edu.