International month kicks off with “Food Truckin’ Around the World”

You may have heard a lot of noise and seen a lot of people standing in line all over the Green on Oct. 2 because of the Office of International Programs’ “Food Truckin’ Around the World” event, which kicked off the 2014 International Month festivities. The event included food trucks, performances from student organizations, and various games.

International Month was originally just a week-long celebration but was expanded to the month of October. The purpose of the month is to strive to promote unity through the acceptance of diversity in the Pirate community.

Although events are held on campus, excluding the Halloween Historic event in Chester, NJ, the events are all free and open to non-SHU students. Specific events within the calendar are also accepted as passport event requirements for the business school and also count toward priority points.

For thosewho missed out on “Food Truckin’ around the World,” there is still a long list of events going on that you can attend. The activities on the calendar include the traditional Caberet Night on Oct. 9 and Workshop on Chinese Calligraphy on Oct. 15.

New activities include the Jam Fest on Oct. 16 in the Chancellor’s Suite with a diversity of musical genres, Diwali Henna Night on Oct. 21 in the Living Room, which will have dance team performances and food and henna painting organized by the South Asian Student Association (SASA). Students can also watch the “Happy” documentary screening on Oct. 23 in room 109, Arts and Sciences; the movie focuses on how happiness is viewed around the world.

Maria Bouzas, Director of the Office of International Programs, has high hopes for the growing list of International Month activities.

“We would love to have events covering all cultural backgrounds,” Bouzas said.

Bouzas said students should feel comfortable contacting the Office of International programs to suggest new events for different cultures for the 2015 academic year.

The full list of events for the month can be found on posters on campus, on the Seton Hall University website and both the Seton Hall and Office of International Programs’ Twitter and Facebook pages.

When attending International Month events, be sure to use “#SetonHall” in photos and tweets. For more information, feel free to contact the Office of International Programs.

Samantha Fabien can be reached at samantha.fabien@student.shu.edu.