College Radio Day expands from last year

Seton Hall’s radio station, WSOU, celebrated College Radio Day on Oct. 3 with off campus collaborations and several big names to raise awareness of the importance of college radio.

“This year's celebration of College Radio Day definitely built off of last year,” Station Manager Erica Szczepaniak said. “Last year, WSOU focused mainly on discussing college radio with students throughout New Jersey from colleges such as Montclair State and NJIT. This year, WSOU not only met and broadcasted with students from Montclair, but also took it into our own hands to put together broadcasts from bands and media professionals that truly demonstrate to our wide variety of listeners just how important this day really is.”

WSOU featured multiple artists who spoke about how important college radio has been to their careers. These artists included a few well-known bands, such as Five Finger Death Punch, Senses Fail and Torrential Downpour, as well as WSOU alumni, including ESPN’s Bob Ley and Bob Picozzi, Atlantic Records Vice President Anthony Delia and 1010 WINS reporter/anchor Glenn Schuck.

“While last year set the foundation for uniting college radio, this year we definitely did a great job of demonstrating its importance,” Szczepaniak said.

In addition to featured artists, WSOU took part in the airing of “College Radio Day Simulcast,” a one-hour special program featuring Andrew W.K., Matt Kelly from The Dropkick Murphys and more. They worked together in a webcast to raise awareness of college radio stations around the country. WSOU simultaneously ran a food drive to support the Community Food Bank of NJ running until Nov. 21.

“We hope that these conversations will remind everyone the vital role college radio stations play in supporting new music and developing talent for the media industry,” said Mark Maben, WSOU’s general manager.

“Be it a DJ, a sportscaster, a music producer or the next Pearl Jam or My Chemical Romance, college broadcasters are nurturing tomorrow’s talent.”

WSOU students Clayton Collier, Vincent Paolella and Rohit Ravi are finalists in the Best Radio Sportscast category in the College Media Association’s Pinnacle Awards. The winners will be announced in Philadelphia on Oct. 31.

WSOU’s Ryan Stetz, co-host of Campus Buzz, has been nominated for Specialty Music Director Of The Year in the 2014 CMJ, College Media Journal, College Radio Awards, which will announce winners on Oct. 23, in New York City.

“College Radio Day exists to remind all of us how much student-run stations matter to campus life and the community at large,” Maben said. “WSOU is proud to be involved with this effort.”

Sean Fahey can be reached at sean.fahey1@student.shu.edu.