Step up to the mic

Every Wednesday night, the Pirate’s Cove is filled with people, singing on stage at “Open Mic Night,” sponsored by SAB. It starts at 8:30 and runs till 10 p.m., or later if the turnout is bigger than expected.

During these events, students are welcome to come on up to the stage and perform music, poetry or spoken word in front of an audience.

“It’s our way of letting students show off their unique talents,” said sophomore Viktor Gomez, Coffee House co-chair.

Many talents have indeed been displayed at the Coffee House, as the genres of entertainment expressed on stage have ranged from instrumentals to singing, jazz, acapella, heavy metal, public speaking and comedy.

In fact, certain clubs and organizations have come to Open Mic Night for the explicit purpose of recruiting members.

“Open Mic Night should function not only as a way to showcase talent, but it should also focus on bringing the community together and bettering one’s self,” Gomez said.

Some of these clubs co-sponsor specific nights, such as Wednesday, Oct. 1, which was co-hosted by P.O.E.T.I.C.

Even if students don’t want to perform, they can just enjoy the show. Most nights, free snacks are provided along with the entertainment.

According to junior Bryan D’Imperio, “It’s a fun and interactive experience that people don’t have to travel 100 miles to see.”

Sean Fahey can be reached at sean.fahey1@student.shu.edu.