Poetry-in-the-Round series kicks off Thursday

For students who enjoy literature, there is a series of events you may enjoy: Poetry-in-the-Round.

According to the director of the series, Professor Nathan Oates, it brings contemporary writers in the fields of not just poetry but also nonfiction and fiction to Seton Hall.

In the past, such well-known writers as Joyce Carol Oates, C.K. Williams and E.L. Doctorow have read their works on campus. The series also highlights talented writers at the start of their careers, such as Ben Lerner.

“Poetry-in-the-Round is a renowned program which was directed, in years past, by my colleagues Dr. John Wargacki and Dr. Jeffrey Gray, and it has become an important venue in the literary community of New Jersey,” Oates said in an email.

“These events are free and open to the public and anyone interested in encouraged to attend,” Oates said.

The first reading in this year’s series will be held Oct. 2 at 7 p.m. in the Faculty Lounge, on the second floor of the University Center. According to Oates, fiction writer Kyle Minor will be reading from his new, highly acclaimed book “Praying Drunk.”

The second author in the series will be biographer and “New Yorker” writer, D.T. Max, who will discuss the life and work of David Foster Wallace, according to Oates. The event will be held on Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. in the Faculty Lounge.

Many English 1201 and 1202 professors offer extra credit to students who attend the readings and write about something they heard or learned from them. It is a way for professors to incorporate campus events in the teaching curriculum, while helping students who want to boost their grades.

“My professor is offering me extra credit to attend the event, which is awesome, but I also get a chance to listen to different types of writing styles with my other friends who are attending too,” said sophomore Alexandra Lipman.

Shaygne Rodriguez can be reached at shaygne.rodriguez@student.shu. edu.