10 things we like about SHU professors

As students in the Seton Hall community, we understand that our University highly values the professors. For many of us, one of the main selling points of Seton Hall was the quality of professors. Here are 10 things that students like about SHU professors.

1. The professors genuinely care about the students and their success in the classroom. Junior Francesca Hall said that SHU professors “are always willing to come after office hours to help with homework” or anything that a student may need. These relationships between the students and professors sets Seton Hall professors apart from other universities.

2. Professors at Seton Hall also check in with the student’s progress and evaluate if their teaching methods are working. Not only with tests, but also by asking for student’s opinions. By treating students as equals and peers, students are more willing to learn.

3. The professors here challenge you. While classes might not always be easy, students are always learning something new and broadening their horizons. And that’s what college is all about, isn’t it?

4. The professors are dedicated. Sophomore Julia Lanuez needed to take a course that was full when it came time for registration, so she emailed the professor of that course and the professor signed her in anyways...at midnight. “I love that my professors are willing to talk to me at all hours of the night,” Lanuez said.

5. They are passionate. Bringing passion to any subject not only engages the students, but also makes learning easier and more fun. SHU professors really understand how to bring their passion of the field into the classroom.

6. They are experienced in the field they teach. Many of the professors here are excellent mentors to have and make networking easy, because they have come straight from the work force of whatever subject they teach. Whether you’re being taught by a journalist from “The New York Post” or studying psychology with a research psychologist, the life experience and true stories engage students in their learning.

7. Professors apply the material to real life situations. No matter what your major is, the professors at Seton Hall can apply the material, and the relevance of learning that material, to your life.

8. Professors have creative ways of teaching hard material. Whether it be through technology and online resources, or something as simple as group work, these creative strategies facilitate learning for the more difficult material.

9. Professors understand that we have other things going on. The ability to discuss scheduling with professors really makes a student’s life easier. SHU professors make sure to remain flexible and understanding when life gets in the way.

10. Professors are approachable both inside and outside the classroom. Sophomore Ethan Kraft says professors are even approachable when you’re no longer their student. This characteristic in SHU professors raises the bar for all university professors and the students appreciate the mentoring.

Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.