SHU talks fall unisex style

Michelle Foti/Pirate Life Editor

This season guys and girls can look toward each other in class only to see that they are rocking the same look. Some people may be surprised and even a little confused. But it’s no shocker.

The men’s and women’s departments, just an escalator ride away from one another, seem to have merged this season as unisex styles are on the rise. Camouflage, leather jackets, boots and flannel tied around the waist are among this season’s dominant trends.

“Seventeen” named three of those four trends in their article “Fall Fashion from A to Z” and celebrities have been spotted wearing them.

Jessica Alba and Nikki Reed were featured on People’s StyleWatch wearing leather jackets.

Cara Delavigne and Nick Jonas have been seen with leather too.

Joe Jonas, Ashton Kutcher and Anne Hathaway’s beaux Adam Shulman were pictured wearing flannel in a variety of ways. On Kylie Jenner’s Instagram, you can see the TV personality wearing the flannel around the waist along with leather booties.

Junior public relations major Rebecca Gramuglia said she’s really into oversized flannels and denim shirts, leather jackets, motorcycle boots and floppy hats among other styles this season. She likes to pair her flannels with bodycon dresses and shorts, especially when the shorts are on the shorter side. Gramuglia said she is taking a step back from the camo trend though, as it is becoming more mainstream.

For some, camo print should remain a functional pattern, rather than fashionable.

Sophomore Chloe Mason, biology major, said camo should only be worn when going hunting. Mason is from upstate New York where hunting is popular.

“As a trend it just doesn’t make sense to me,” Mason said.

Not going far astray, sophomore Brandon Harris, business and communications major, applies these looks to male apparel. Harris suggests camo pants, wearing a leather jacket with a complementary hoodie underneath and using the flannel as an accessory.

Harris described this season’s styles as chill, perhaps the calm before the storm for something spectacular to emerge in the near future. As far as his take on the unisex component, Harris is not in favor.

“I feel as though it’s chopping the arm of fashion,” Harris said. “If I am to look and see a female wearing nearly the same outfit as me I will feel that fashion is dead and that the clothing seen in futuristic movies where we all wear the same thing is coming alive.”

Gramuglia, on the other hand, said “Everyone should wear what they love with confidence.”

Michelle Foti can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.