8 Simple Rules to a great college experience

Aamna Aamir/Staff Photographer

It’s been said that college is the best four years of your life. That gives us four years to live our life to the fullest. That sounds like a lot of pressure. Instead of being focused on “making it the best time of our lives,” take the pressure off and enjoy your college journey. Here are eight simple rules that will lead you to a great college experience.

1. Try to be open minded. During your time in college, it is key to step outside of your bubble and your comfort zone. Some of the best experiences come from taking part in an activity that we never would have done in high school.

2. It’s time to start getting involved. In order to make the most of your college years it is in your best interest to get involved with campus life. Get involved in clubs, organizations, intramurals or Greek life. There is a lot going on and it is important to find your niche in order to craft your unique college journey.

3. Become more independent. It is time to start shying away from the help of your parents and start figuring out things for ourselves. If you have the privilege of being away at school, make sure to get a job, make your own money, do your own laundry and start getting used to what the rest of your life will be like. These are the moments that will define us, so it is important to find out who we are outside of our families.

4. Start to network. College is a major time for networking for your career. Soon enough we will all be out in the work force and it is important to maintain connections. Remember, it is not always about what you know, but about who you know.

5. Set clear goals. If you set clear goals for yourself, whether it comes to classes, clubs, internships or work, you will have an amazing experience. You will stay organized and at the top of your game, facilitating time management skills, while setting aside time for fun.

6. Find out who you are. During college, many people face an identity crisis. Don’t worry if this has happened to you and don’t worry if it hasn’t. It is important to find out who you are and who you are going to be once you enter the world beyond the University gates.

7. Actually study for classes. This will not only improve your grades, but it will also broaden your horizons. We will rarely have these resources available to us again, so it is important to take advantage of them. Study, read and learn as much as you can, because you might not have another chance like this.

8. Have fun. Most importantly, just remember to have fun. Your college experience is what you make it. You can choose to be happy and you can choose to have fun. Whether that means getting involved or staying in on the weekends watching Netflix, just remember that you only get to live these four years once, so live them your way.

Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.