Sigma Pi races to raise awareness with 5K on campus

Photo courtesy of Andres Herdoiza

The brothers of Sigma Pi have partnered with the Sean Vernon Feliciano Amazing Day Foundation to host a 5K run for the Seton Hall community in order to raise suicide awareness.

The 5K will be on Friday Sept. 19 from 2 to 4 p.m. on the University Green. Students, faculty and alumni are welcome to participate. Participants will be able to sign up on Friday at a table on the green.

There is a minimum donation of $5 and all proceeds will go to the Amazing Day Foundation. There will be snacks and drinks available for the participants and onlookers. Joey Addeo, a brother of Sigma Pi, will be DJing the event as well.

The brothers of Sigma Pi said they are passionate about their mission to raise suicide awareness.

“We decided to do [the 5K] for suicide awareness because we had a brother who was struggling with some of those dark thoughts,” Sigma Pi’s Philanthropy Chair and senior brother Andres Herdoiza said. “But, one of the ways he got better was by doing philanthropy work, specifically with the Sean Vernon Feliciano Amazing Foundation.”

The foundation has previously given a presentation to students about suicide awareness at Seton Hall. Some topics addressed include who it affects and why it happens.

The brothers encourage other students to get involved by making donations through Sigma Pi for the foundation. They also encourage students to check out the Sean Vernon Feliciano Amazing Day Foundation website, to donate online and also learn more about suicide awareness. Informative flyers and postings will be distributed at the 5K for people to spread the word about suicide awareness.

Alyssa Maltese can be reached alyssa.maltese@student.shu.edu.