Fall Fest replaced with discounted concert tickets

Mariel Pagan, assistant dean of students for student activities announced there will be no Fall Fest this year.

The Student Activities Board (SAB) launched a separate concert series for this semester to replace the Fall Fest concert in the hopes of reaching more students. The Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull concert at Madison Square Garden is part of the experimental stage of the concert series.

“Based on the end of the year survey, the students want a bigger artist,” Pagan said.

SAB initially looked into hosting Luke Bryan or Drake, the two top choices for a campus concert, but both artists were too expensive and do not typically perform college shows. The concert series was SAB’s “re- sponse to the interest in having a bigger name artist” by providing students greater access to the local shows.

The SAB looked into a variety of shows playing near Seton Hall, including Drake and Luke Bryan. These shows were either too early for ticket sales or did not provide enough tickets, according to Pagan. The Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull concert allows for enough students to attend as well as enough time for SAB to sell the tickets, according to Pagan.

SAB was able to get 500 tickets for Seton Hall students at a discounted price. SAB anticipates that the concert will be well attended by students.

“It seems to be well received so we are going to move forward with another concert for this semester,” Pagan said.

There will be a formal announcement for the second concert later in the semester. The Iglesias - Pitbull concert will be held at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Thursday Sept. 25.

Pagan stated, “We will be providing chaperones for the trip,” but reminded students the importance of being responsible while going to and from school and at the venue as well.

“We are going to have Groove Boston this spring semester,” Pagan said. There is also talk of having an additional artist for the spring event, but that decision will be made by the concert committee later in the semester, according to Pagan.

Other events for this semester include “bringing an off Broadway play to campus” on Oct. 9 and “’Electric Yoga,’ which is kind of like Groove Boston meets yoga,” according to Pagan.

More upcoming off campus trips include Dorney Park in October, Broadway shows in November, and Radio City Music Hall in December.

Kaitlin Stellingwerf can be reached at kaitlin.stellingwerf@ student.shu.edu.