Big Apple, little price

Leah Carton/Staff Photographer

Before attending the Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull concert at Madison Square Garden on Sept. 25, students can spend the day in the city without having to clean out their wallet.

Students can chow down on their favorite meals while receiving 10 percent off their order with a student I.D. at Buffalo Wild Wings located on 253 West 47th. Students can also grab a quick snack at the 24-hour Duane Reade located on 771 Eighth Ave. Treat yourself to three bite-sized cupcakes for $3 by heading over to Baked by Melissa on 526 Seventh Ave, a six minute walk from Madison Square Garden.

Being one of the fashion capitals of the world, New York City has many shops that tourists can visit. Student discounts are offered at retail stores such as Champs (10 percent off) and Urban Outfitters (10 to 20 percent off).

For sightseeing, students can visit the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock. Tickets to the Main Deck on the 86th floor in the Empire State Building and to the Observatory Deck at Top of the Rock are both $29. The Empire State Building offers a special ticket rate for groups of 20 people or more. The best time to avoid the crowds is early afternoon or late at night. The Empire State Building is open from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Times Square is an 11 minute walk from Madison Square Garden. There, students can find restaurants, shopping, and sightseeing. The theater box office to purchase Broadway tickets is located in Times Square. Tickets to shows that day are available for purchase at a discounted price at the Theatre Development Fund’s TKTS booth located at the intersection of Broadway and Seventh Ave at 47th Street.

For nature lovers, High Line Park, a 24 minute walk from Madison Square Garden, and Bryant Park, a 20 minute walk from Madison Square Garden, are open to the public daily. Different events are held at these parks daily during the week, so stop by before the concert to see what you could be a part of.

Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.