Third straight clean sheet for Blackshear results in a Pirates draw

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

On a gorgeous night at Owen T. Carroll field, the Pirates (2-4-2) battled the Columbia University Lions (2-1-2) in a tightly contested draw. For the third consecutive game, the Pirates’ went to double overtime, and for the fifth time this season failed to score a goal.

Despite many opportunities, including 11 shots, the Pirates were unable to convert any of their opportunities into goals. With 32 minutes left in the second half, sophomore and Oradell, New Jersey-native, Frankie Maier had perhaps the Pirates’ best look of the night, but ended up just missing wide left.

Recently named to Big East Weekly Honor Roll, sophomore goalkeepe Illissa Blackshear did not disappoint, her third straight clean sheet. Blackshear has now not allowed a goal in over 323 minutes of play.

After the game, head coach Rick Stainton praised his goalkeeper.

“The player of the game is clearly Illissa Blackshear,” Stainton said.

However Blackshear expressed she was not content with personal achievements, “It feels great to get the shutout, but we wanted to get the win. We didn’t play to the best of our ability today and it showed. We need to finish in the final third.”

The attacking end has been the Achilles heel for this Pirates squad all season long. Despite having the lowest goals against average (0.63) in the Big East conference, the Pirates have only scored three goals themselves.

“Defense is not our issue, it is really in the attack, trying to capitalize on those opportunities is the next step,” Stainton said.

After only getting three shots off in the first half, Stainton said he told his team they were getting “too predictable” with the ball. This adjustment helped the Pirates get seven shots on net in the second half, along with several opportunities in the two overtime periods.

The game was certainly a physical one, resulting in three yellow cards.

With 26 minutes left in the second half, junior defenseman D’Yonna Riley collided with the Lions’ goalie, Gabby Dubick, causing Dubick to be replaced by senior goal keeper Grace Redmond.

Just 23 minutes later, Blackshear was involved in a similar play, but stayed in the game.

“I am feeling pretty good. Another player from Columbia went up for the ball and got me with an elbow to the cheek. It hurt but I needed to stay in the game, so I just got right back up,” Blackshear said of the collision.

The Pirates will host LIU-Brooklyn September 19, at 7:00 pm as they continue to search for their first home win of the season.

Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu.