Pirates volleyball rebounds, sweeps Saint Francis on Day 2 of Mountaineer Invitational

Amanda Boyer/Photography Editor

The Seton Hall volleyball team finished the Mountaineer Invitational strong as they swept Saint Francis (PA) and took two out of three matches on the weekend.

Seton Hall (7-3) was able to pull away in the first two sets after building a nine point lead in the opening set and then going on an 8-2 run in the second set to put the Hall up two sets to none. They would go on to sweep the Red Flash, 25-16, 25-15, 30-28.

The blue and white trailed for the majority of the third set, but were able to come from behind. The Pirates trailed 22-19, but went on a 4-1 run to tie the set at 23. After surrendering the next point, junior Molly “The Hammer” Grammer answered with a kill of her own and knotted the third set up at 24. Saint Francis had three opportunities to win the third set, but every time they were on set point, the Pirates scored a point to keep the set alive.

With the two teams were deadlocked again at 28, Stacey Manthorpe came up with the decisive play as she was able to land a kill to put the blue and white on match point. The Red Flash of St. Francis would make a costly error on the next point to give the set and the match to the Pirates.

The Manthorpe sisters were at it again in this one. Stacey Manthorpe recorded her third consecutive double-double and seventh of the season, tallying 14 kills and 14 digs. Shelbey Manthorpe had 36 assists, which led both teams and seven digs in the win.

Amanda Hansen added nine kills in the victory. The junior did not commit any errors on the attack for the Pirates. Sophomore Tessa Fournier helped led the Hall with 16 digs.

The Hall improved their record in neutral site matches to 4-0, but remain winless on the road after their time in Morgantown.

Now the Pirates return to South Orange as they host the Seton Hall Invitational at Walsh Gymnasium starting on September 19th when they take on the Fordham Rams. First serve is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Sean Saint Jacques can be reached at sean.saintjacques@student.shu.edu.