Get in the know

Rosemary Sweigart/Staff Photographer

There are many places and resources on campus that students can utilize, but might not know about or know how to use. These assets, such as the Recreation Center and Zipcars, can enhance your time on campus.

From finding a new way to work out, to driving somewhere that isn’t on the SHUfly route, Seton Hall has many resources that students can go to if they’re looking to change their routine or try something new.

According to the SHU Pirates athletic website, the newly renovated Rec Center is open from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m., Monday to Fri- day, and 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. on the weekends.

A great feature of the Rec Center that many people do not take advantage of is the pool. Although the swim team and diving team do practice there often, along with New Jersey swimming club teams and local high schools that compete there, the pool is open to the University students to cross train and exercise during certain hours.

On weekdays, the pool is open from 8–10 a.m., 12-2 p.m., and 6–8:30 p.m. In addition to those times, it is open on weekends from 11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

The village relations committee chair for SGA, Sam Matino, recommended a great place for students looking to get involved. The Student Resource and Involvement Center is located in room 116 in the University Center. There, you can get a brochure describing the many organizations on campus, along with details about the Academic Resource Center, the Sophomore Center (located in Mooney Hall room 14), and even get team building supplies.

If students are looking to go off campus for a good time, but don’t want to take the train, an excellent option is the Zipcars. Seton Hall partnered with this company in 2011 and in doing so, it made living on campus a little easier and more convenient.

Junior Peter Danzi recently went through the process of applying to use the Zipcars. He explained that on Zipcars website, you sign up and give them the number on your driver’s license. From there, the company decides if they want to take you on as a client based on the number of points you may or may not have. If you are accepted, you pay a fee and they send you a Zipcar card which will unlock the door of the cars parked at the station under Xavier Hall.

It is an attractive option for students don’t have their own cars and don’t want to take the SHUfly or who want to buy groceries in bulk. The process takes time, but is ultimately worth it.

Rosemary Sweigart can be reached at rosemary.sweigart@student.shu.edu.