Softball season ends on series finale loss to Georgetown

The Seton Hall softball team dropped their season finale Sunday afternoon at Georgetown, 8-0, leaving them out of the Big East Championship. The loss marks their 12th in conference play giving them a 9-12 finish against Big East teams for the season, finishing with a 15-34 overall record.

Georgetown picked up two runs in the second inning from a double and a bases loaded walk. Heading into the bottom of the fourth the Hoyas led 2-0 and added three more runs on an error by second baseman Maria DeLuca and a three-run home run by Hannah Slovacek.

Junior Casey Moses came in for SHU starter Jen Metzger to get out of further trouble. Moses ended the inning on a double play ground out from Alexandria Antilla. The Pirates trailed 5-0 heading into the sixth and final inning.

Sophomore Jackie DiPietro extended her career-long six-game hitting streak and raised her team-leading average from .261 to .338, a nearly 80 point jump from her freshman year. DiPietro was 4 for 8 in the series.

The inning was wasted as DiPietro was caught trying to steal second followed by a ground out to shortstop by DeLuca to end the inning.

Another three runs were tacked on in the final frame due to two Seton Hall errors. One came across followed by a single to left to bring home the last two runs from second and third.

Senior Jen Metzger took her tenth loss of the season for the Pirates allowing three earned runs on four hits. She went 1-2 at the plate with an infield single in the fifth inning. The hits by Metzger and DiPietro were the only two of the game for Seton Hall. DiPietrowent 1-2 on the day, and a walk and stolen base

The sweep capped off a season in which the Pirates fell short of a bid for their second straight appearance in the Big East Championship and finished sixth in the conference overall.

Thomas Zappia can be reached at thomas.zappia@student.shu.edu.