Bye bye bikinis?

She wore an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini for the last time today.

The much-loved two-piece swimsuit is making room on the beach towel for the classic one-piece. But these are not the typical swimsuits your grandmother might wear. These suits are even riskier than some two-pieces, with plunging necklines, bold cut-outs, crisscross styles, mesh accents and bustier tops.

Cosmopolitan featured a photo gallery "35 One-Piece Swimsuits Way Sexier Than Any Bikini" showcasing suits from Roxy, TopShop, Michael Kors, Kenneth Cole and 6 Shore Road. After the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim 2014, Rachel Hislop of the Global Grind predicted that one-piece suits with scandalous flavor will be huge for summer 2014. Hollywood has already shown they're in favor of the trend. Seventeen's Celeb's Favorite Swimsuit Trends showcased Christina Milian in a snakeskin cut-out one-piece, Ashley Greene in a vintage yellow style and Victoria Justice poolside at Coachella in a black crochet one-piece.

Marina De Giovanni, fashion blogger and creator of Not a Model, said she thinks one-piece swimsuits will always be in.

"It caters for women who don't want to wear a two-piece swimsuit so more and more brands are expanding their collection each year to include more fashionable styles," De Giovanni said.

De Giovanni said one-piece suits can be both beach and poolside casual as well as fit for more trendy occasions.

"I wear mine with an open kaftan, big sunnies and a big hat," De Giovanni said.

Freshman Karolina Zujewska said no matter where you wear a one- piece, you'll be making a statement.

Zujewska depicted the versatility of the monokini with the different styles it can take from summertime casual with high-waisted shorts and Vans or Keds to boho chic with a loose kimono, sandals, a long necklace and turquoise stone rings.

"It is not something everyone has been wearing yet, so you can really stand out wearing one," Zujewska said. "If you get one that fits you well they are very comfortable; you don't have to worry about anything slipping off when you go jump into the pool."

Junior Chantalle Luberto said the one-piece gives off a different sexy and confident look for females.

"I like how designers gave each one-piece a different look with all different cut-outs and styles that can fit different body types and styles," Luberto said. "I would accessorize my one-piece with a cute sarong wrap along with a big floppy hat. It keeps the look classy, yet still attractive."

Bid adieu to that itsy bitsy bikini and say hello to the trendy monokini.

Michelle Foti can be reached at michelle.foti@student.shu.edu.