Roommates make peace with living situation

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the third and final installment of an ongoing series examining how the roommate situations change throughout the year for five freshmen.*

Sarah's attitude about her living situation has developed over the year.

She initially was optimistic about her situation with her roommate, then was focused solely on finding ways to coexist. Now she says she's comfortable in the environment they've created.

"We've actually become more open since the beginning of the year," Sarah said.

"I guess it goes along with the maturity process and getting more comfortable with your environment," she said.

Though she says her and her roommate are doing well, Sarah has made the decision to live with one of her friends next year on campus.

Allen originally said he was hopeful about his living situation, but early on he got a new roommate. Though he said the change was unexpected, he and his new roommate tried to respect each other's habits.

"Halfway through the first semester, I got a new roommate," Allen said. "I've grown to like him as time has gone on. He was a little strange at first, but I've learned to see past that and embrace him for who he is. He's an alright guy."

Like Sarah, Allen plans to live on campus next year with friends.

Alexis knew her roommate before move-in because they had roomed together over the summer. She said they are good friends and actually intend to live together on campus next year and will also be spending time together this summer while they're both taking summer courses.

"Throughout the year, we have become closer and it has been easier to live together," Alexis said. "We were similar in how we live, like we both understand each other's likes and dislikes."

Brian said at the start of the year that he was ready to live with a roommate after having lived with his brother. Though they have had no arguments this year, he says living with his roommate has taught him a lot about compromising.

"I do believe that [living with my roommate] helped me be able to adapt to any situation and has helped me increase my willingness to make sacrifices in order to keep the peace in my living environment," Brian said.

His plan for next year is to live on campus with a roommate that was randomly selected.

*The names have been changed to protect the students' privacy.

Samantha Giedris can be reached at samantha.giedris@student.shu.edu.