Student creates blog after Haiti trips

A fellow Pirate assisted those in Haiti twice during her time at Seton Hall.

Julia Nobrega Langone, a junior, blogged about her experiences in Haiti.

The blog was originally an article for The Envoy newspaper.

Michelle Peterson from the DOVE Office decided to put it up in the DOVE Newsletter.

"After I heard from her, a few students who read the papers said they liked my piece," Langone said.

Langone is a liberal studies major with minors in history and in diplomacy.

She added diplomacy after her first trip to Haiti as a freshman.

"As a freshman in college you are already in a new experience, craving and wanting more," she said. "I wanted to help."

She also said that "volunteering abroad was a perfect opportunity to feel globally connected."

Both trips were the same format with a few changes, Langone said. "It was a trip composed of being primarily at the orphanage and still helping at the hospice-like care center in town."

She added: "I held hands, made connections, fed babies, became spiritual, clipped toenails, danced with children, learned the importance of touch-the list of lessons goes on."

Langone said her favorite memories are of the connections with the boys.

"Datzi, a 6-year-old, blew bubbles and his laugh could melt the world," she said. "He brought such a smile to my face."

Langone said that she walked away from the experience with many memories and she is "blessed to still have them."

She said that she would "go in a heartbeat if asked by DOVE" a third time; however, due to her early graduation in December 2014, "there is an 'unknown' date stamped on when I will definitely be in Haiti again."

Kaitlin Stellingwerf can be reached at kaitlin.stellingwerf@student.shu.edu.