Life is better without CBS' new sitcom

The new CBS show, "Friends with Better Lives" aired its pilot on Monday, March 31st at 9 p.m. The sitcom might remind viewers of the popular show, "Friends," as it also revolves around a group of friends who are regularly together. However, it does not come close to the dynamic chemistry and great comedy of NBC classic. The only aspect that might make it appear slightly original is that it's focused on how these individuals handle adult relationships.

The cast consists of predominately six good-looking friends who have many relationships and sexual one-liners. These jokes are mostly awful and unoriginal, but there is a chance for improvement. A majority of the friends appear unhappy which creates for a pessimistic or dull atmosphere. While some characters are more likeable than others, there is an absence of chemistry especially because of Kate (Zoe Lister Jones), a rude, negative, single woman. Her one-liners do not do the show any justice, but rather brings a damper on the already unoriginal and unexciting sitcom. Her hopes to find a perfect man and end her brutal single life brings more annoyance than empathy because of her cynic and judgmental attitude.

Then there is a newly single OB-GYN doctor, Will (James Van Der Beek) who cannot fully embrace the fact that his wife wants a divorce even after she slept with another man. His character is more positive and brings some humor to the show.

The married couple, Andi (Majandra Delfino) and Bobby (Kevin Connolly) who also have a child (not present in the pilot) are the only characters who strengthen and uphold the episode. Then there is the cheerful and spontaneous Jules (Brooklyn Decker) who agrees to get engaged with a restaurant owner, Lowell (Rick Donald) only after six weeks of knowing each other.

The pilot contains scenes that should have been cut out of the episode because they are just not funny. When Lowell shouts "Nut cheese for everyone" to celebrate Andi and Bobby's anniversary at his restaurant and the fact that the characters make jokes about Andi's breast pumping illustrates the sitcom's weak humor and dialogue.

There are some hit-or-miss jokes and scenes which reflect a decent writing and plot, but it overall presents a less-than-entertaining and meaningless show.

The show will move to its regular time slot at 8:30 p.m. on Mondays.

Nisha Desai can be reached at nisha.desai@student.shu.edu.