Captain America' keeps pace with Marvel franchise

Two years after the events of "The Avengers," Steve Rogers, also known as Captain America (Chris Evans), struggles to acclimate to contemporary living, while continuing work for the espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D in the latest Marvel release, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

Rogers works the menial tasks director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) assigns until he is called to help rescue a S.H.I.E.L.D. vessel from Algerian pirates. While onboard, Rogers finds fellow agent Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) extracting data off the ship's computer, something Rogers wasn't briefed on prior to entering the ship. At headquarters, Fury introduces Rogers to Project Insight, three Helicarriers connected to spy satellites and calculated to tactically remove threats.

However, Fury underestimated the level of encryption and is unable to access the data Romanoff recovered.

On his way to wine and dine with Maria Hill, assailants masked as police officers and led by a mysterious ringleader called the Winter Soldier attack Fury. Fury is able to break from his assailants and makes it to Roger's apartment. Fury informs Rogers of the attack, S.H.I.E.L.D being compromised, and hands Rogers a USB flash drive before the Winter Soldier kills him.

Upon acting on Fury's warnings, S.H.I.E.L.D. brands Rogers as a traitor and Rogers, who is now a fugitive, must rely on the help of Black Widow -Agent Romanoff- and Falcon (Anthony Mackie). But even with the best of help, Rogers sees the battle to find the Winter Soldier will be costly and deadly as he finds enemies where he least expects them. Can Captain America bring justice especially upon learning the Winter Soldier looks someone from Roger's past?

The sequel easily does better than the original as "The Winter Soldier" blends a more edgy, complex, and compelling storyline that doesn't fall short on its fantasy, drama, and action. This sequel shows audiences the most valiant 95-year-old superhero can maintain the lead in a modern-day adventure. Throughout the film, it would be easy to call upon the other members of the Avengers, but Captain America is able to stand-alone and makes a name for himself aside from the Avengers. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys Marvel comics or the handsome Evans, as you see him play one of his best, multi-faceted roles to date, to see this movie. It will amp you up for "The Avengers 2" and a possible a trick or two linked to the next superhero collaboration!

Gloryeanne Lindenmuth can be reached at gloryeanne.lindenmuth@student.shu.edu.