Students suggest locker improvements

Student opinions are divided in response to the Richie Regan Recreation and Athletic Center's new locker rooms.

Those that are pleased with the recent renovations offer a few recommendations that could make these new locker rooms even better.

"The lockers are efficient for a student wishing to lock away a few items," freshman Emily Kincaid said. "Yet they could be seen as being too small in colder weather when students will have bulkier coats to store."

Kincaid said that a simple addition of benches would meet students' needs.

According to sophomore Kaley Hilts, the lockers are "small and close together, and are too narrow."

Hilts also said she hopes a scale can be added in the locker rooms, instead of just in the fitness area.

Several other students have voiced their concerns regarding the number and size of the lockers.

According to education major Leo Ricketts, more secure lockers are needed.

Comparing the new lockers to cubby holes, Ricketts said there is "no definite security."

Although students Nicole Archibald and Lauren Lal are generally pleased with the style of the new lockers, they wish the lockers were more spacious.

"Spacewise, I like the old lockers better," Lal said.

Archibald said the old lockers were bigger but not necessarily better.

"I think the new lockers allow for more space in the gym," Archibald said.

Broadcasting and visual arts major Megan Rafter said she supports changes to the lockers, adding, "I hope that Seton Hall continues to add more lockers and storage space for the students to use.

Senior Alberto Herrera is pleased with the new fitness center.

"The idea about the lockers was just a matter of personal preferences," Herrera said. "I think the renovations are great."

Director of Athletics and Recreational Services Patrick Lyons has been working with an architect in hopes of coming up with possible solutions to the space issue.

These solutions include looking to make the lockers larger to suit students' needs.

"We are not planning on doing anything until summer as to not disrupt the current facility usage," Lyons said.

Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.