Tyler Perry more serious in new film

Tyler Perry puts away the fat suit, dress, and makeup that created the dramatic character Madea in his newly released movie, "The Single Moms Club". Perry casts five divorced, empowered, and diverse women who endure the struggles of motherhood who come from different social and economic backgrounds and all have one thing in common: they need emotional support as they deal with single parenthood.

The five women are called in by their kids' private school's principal because of their children's misbehavior or disobedience. These single mothers are forced to plan a school fundraiser which eventually leads to forming a support group for single moms.

Jan (Wendi McLendon-Covey) is a rude publishing executive and book editor whose world slowly crumbles. The work-alcoholic pushes her daughter to be involved with various activities which leaves for very little time for mother-daughter bonding.

Hillary (Amy Smart), a newly divorced mother is forced to take care of her three kids after she fires her maid when her alimony is cut off. While, she struggles to connect with her children, Hillary has no trouble connecting with her new male neighbor.

Esperanza (Zulay Henao), a divorcee and a mother of an obnoxious daughter, deals with hiding her boyfriend from her intimidating ex-husband who pays most of the bills.

May (Nia Long) is a writer whose son searches for a connection to his distant father.

Lytia (Cocoa Brown), a waitress who cares for three children displays the most strength, willpower, and determination out of all the mothers.

The actresses provide decent performances when compared to the film's weak plot and directing. The way in which these women are pulled together is unusual and displays the poorly written storyline that is directed in a mediocre and uncreative manner.

Perry reduces the dramatic flair which is usually shown in most of his movies such as "Madea's Witness Protection" or "Temptation." However, the racial lines, stereotypes, and clich?©s are still evident. While, these factors provide some humor, it does not create a drastically great or charming movie. The film's title demands a concept of sisterhood amongst these single mothers, but the sense of unity and independence from a man is withdrawn as Perry assigns a love interests to each of these women. The attempt to present a worthy and interesting subject of single parenthood is apparent, but it is poorly executed on the big screen as the film lacks proper direction.

Nisha Desai can be reached at nisha.desai@student.shu.edu.